Uchch Shiksha Loan Yojana
There are many girls who have left studies due to financial constraints in the family. These poor girls are unable to pursue their higher studies for heavy amount of fees. Looking at the situation, the state government of Haryana has started a new scheme for the poor girl students namely Uchch Shiksha Loan Yojana. Under this scheme, girl students will get easy loans to continue with their studies.
The USLY is one of the many loan schemes that help the poor girl student to continue with their higher studies. Under the scheme the applicants will get interest rate benefits.
The scheme Uchch Shiksha Loan Yojana was launched on August 2017 in Haryana. The state government of Haryana has launched the scheme. It has been said that the Women Development Authority, Haryana will look after the implementation of the scheme.
- Objective: According to the survey, literacy rate of the girls from SC/ST and lower income group in the Haryana state is only 42% (approx). The rate of the same is 55% across the nation. On the contrary the male literacy rate among the SC/ST and lower income group is much higher than the rate of girls. To encourage girls’ education the state has taken this step.
- Interest Rate: Under the scheme the beneficiaries will have to pay 5% rate of interest annually for the loan amount. This is much lower than the market interest rate for any educational loan.
- Supervision: The Women Development Corporation will supervise the scheme. They will look after the implementation of the scheme in grass root level. To scheme will help women empowerment.
- Benefit: The male literacy is much higher compare to female literacy for the lower income group and backward classes. Most of the families stop girl child’s education to let the male child grow more. After this scheme, the families will be able to continue their girl child’s higher education too. The rate of literacy will soon be equal for both the male and female from lower income group and backward classes with the scheme.
- Resident: The applicant must be a resident of the state Haryana. She should have her Aadhaar / Voter Card issued in Haryana’s address (permanent).
- Age Limit: The minimum age of the applicant must be 18 years. This scheme is mainly launched for the higher education of the girl child, so the applicant must be 18 years of above to apply for the scheme.
- Education: The applicant must be passed 12th standard from any recognised school or institution. 12th boards appeared candidates will not be eligible. Students who have started studying in college but discontinued their study die to financial problem can also apply for the scheme.
- Category: The scheme was launched for the girls under the scheduled caste and scheduled tribe category. Also girls from low income group and economically backward category will be eligible for the scheme.
- Gender: Only girl children of the families can apply for loan under USLY, no male child will be eligible for the scheme. If the male child has to take education loan, then he has to pay the normal market interest rate.
Uchch Shiksha Loan yojana will be a step towards the girl literacy campaign in Haryana. Many of the rural as well as urban families stop their girl child’s education to continue the male child’s education in the family. This hampers the literacy balance not only in the state but also across the nation. After kanyashree in Bengal and Beti Bachao Beti Padhao by the central government, Uchch Shiksha Loan Yojana will be another step taken towards the women empowerment in the country. Soon the scheme will start implementing officially.